The Journey Begins – Day 1 of My First 100 Day Challange

Today was brilliant as I was really motivated is what I would like to be able to tell you. Sadly that wasn’t the case at all.

My day started at around 05.45 when my body decided it was time to get up.  Despite my brain valiant attempts to convince my body that it was still sleep time and would be for at least another hour my body insisted, so get up i did.  Now up at least an entire hour early I try and think of something productive to do.  What i find to do is faff around on Facebook for nearly an hour and a half doing nothing in particular.

Now its time to get my seven-year old daughter up, fed and ready for school.  This is no easy task as my daughter is already a teenager in the respect that you can’t get her out of bed (at least not on a school day).  She also is of the firm belief that she has until the last star has died to do the simple  tasks like putting her shoes on and actually eating her breakfast.  At 8.55 I have completed my task and dropped my daughter off at school (5 mins late as it happens)

I now have 5 hours until my induction to the Gym.  So I bimble around doing a few bits around the house that need doing.  What i mean specifically when i say that is starting a task like loading/unloading the dishwasher and deciding it can be done later.  My get up and go today has done exactly that.  So as you probably guessed it was Facebook and playing a computer game (No ,I don’t care, I like them and yes i am 42).  What i am also doing is trying to think of a way to avoid going to my induction that don’t sound and feel like a complete cop-out to me.  So basically apart from making a light lunch i spent most of  5 hours procrastinating and fretting that I won’t be able to do any of the stuff i want to and nearly convince myself to give up before i try.

It is now 13.30 and its getting very close to the time I need to leave to make it to my induction.  By a staggering coincidence this is also the exact time that my brain wins it’s argument with my body and they both agree that i should be asleep.  My get up and go is now so gone I honestly thought that it would never come back.   Before i know it I have the phone in my hand and have looked up the number of the Gym.  Just as I was about to call them i suddenly had a thought.  If I did cancel I would have to put up with my step son personally ribbing me for all eternity.  This was enough to get me out the door.

With a couple of minutes spare I find myself outside Studio Red Fitness in Shirley, Southampton.  I have to say i am properly scared of what is coming up.  What if I make a fool of myself?  What if I Can’t do some of the things I’m asked too ? What if I’m already a lost cause ? What if people laugh at me ?  All these things and quite a few others are buzzing round my head.  I’m doing what i always seem to do when faced with something that i can fail at and looking at it negatively.  This is something that needs to be worked on.  So I take a deep breath and do what I need to.  I walk straight past the Gym entrance and pop into Sainsbury’s for a bottle of water.

So water bought i enter the Gym. and turn up for my Gym induction about 2 mins late.  The owner of the Gym is the one that is giving me my induction and it is fairly standard.  Demonstrate equipment and ensure that I’m not going to actually kill myself while using it.  What wasn’t run of the mill, However, was Frank himself (at least for me).  He managed to put me at ease.  He made me laugh and I made him laugh and he didn’t make me feel pathetic when I couldn’t lift much rather the opposite and made me feel like i was achieving something.

Now we come to the horrible bit.  Now it’s time for the customary before pictures.  I would like to apologize in advance.



So they I am in all my…..Glory….

So anyway after the induction i decided to stay and do a bit of Cardio which would include the first day of my Couch to 5K.   I started with 5 mins on the Recumbent bike.  I found a friction level that i was comfortable at and took it up to 11 (sorry couldn’t resist a spinal tap reference).  I then decided to do 5 mins on the Step trainer and promptly lasted 2.  Frankly this thing will be the bane of my gym life as is just can’t seem to get the right rhythm but I’ll get there. Confidence built I decided to head for the treadmill and do my first day of the Couch to 5k Program.  The first week consists of a 5 min brisk walk, run for a min, Brisk walk for one and a half minutes repeat run and walk until 20 mins have gone by 3 times a week.  I found out some things that surprised me a little while doing it.  First my comfortable normal walking speed is 3mph. So Brisk is 3.5.  My comfortable running speed is 5mph which i will work on getting up.  I wasn’t that brave today.

What surprised me the most though is that i actually managed to do the full 20 mins without dying.  Of course there were points that i wanted to stop and didn’t think I could but i carried on and am quite proud of myself for doing it.  It’s a small victory, but, it’s my small victory.  

So as i sit here writing this while listening to The Cure’s Disintegration album I realized something.  Today is a Brilliant Day after all.  Yeah i’m every bit as tired as i was earlier, but, it is somehow a more relaxed happy achieved something  tired than the can’t be bothered tired of this morning. 

Oh and my get up and go appears to have come back.


3 thoughts on “The Journey Begins – Day 1 of My First 100 Day Challange

  1. Having been chatting with Dangerous, he sent me the link to the website and I have spent the last few minutes (on the loo) reading some posts and I have to say a couple of things:

    1. Well done.
    2. Very well done!
    3. You’re awesome.

    Making the decision to change is the first big step. Actually getting on and doing it is the second. You’ve made both those steps and it will only get easier from here.

    Have you weighed yourself recently? You don’t need to tell the world but it’s nice to keep an accurate record and (I know you’re looking at) MyFitneessPal will track beautifully.

    As you might now (Dangerous has a fib gob!). I completed the C25K last July and loved every minute of it. I am low stopped due to a hernia and haven’t run since 24 September. It’s doing my head in!

    Don’t skip a run if you can manage it, no matter how you feel, or the weather, and you must take those rest days, they are important!

    If you are on Reddit check out the C25K sub, it’s simply the best sub for questions and support on the whole site.

    Here’s to you and your journey and maybe one day we can go for a run together?

    1. Yes Dangerous did tell me that he had been talking to you. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. In reply to your couple of things:

      1) Thank you.
      2) Thank you very much.
      3) I know 😀

      I hadn’t weighed myself until today when I bought a set of bathroom scales (They are a semi banned item in the house for reasons I won’t go into here). I bought myself a Salter that does BMI, Hydration etc. Again Dangerous has mentioned MyFitnessPal and I have downloaded it.

      I had a quick peek at your blog too and I have to say well done to you too. You quite literally look like a new man for it.

      Never had much to do with Reddit but i’ll check it out.

      As for running together. Hopefully one day we can run together. Oh and I hope your upcoming op goes well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *